Carleen



Crazy Sam hosts the Saturday: 9 meme. And since I don't have a Saturday meme to help keep me posting on a daily basis, I've decided to take up the challenge. Here's what the meme is all about:

What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Let's get started. . .

1. Where were you when you heard that Michael Jackson died?

I was at home, sitting in front of my laptop, doing homework when the announcement interrupted regular CNN programming.


2. How do you think that he will be remembered?

I wish that I could say Michael will be remembered only for the legacy of music he left to the world; however, I tend to agree with Deepak Chopra who notes in his beautiful piece, A Tribute to My Friend, Michael Jackson, that the world will remember the artist as much for his erratic and often strange behavior as it will for his compassion and talent.

3. What was your favorite Jackson tune?

When he was part of the Jackson 5, my favorite song is "Dancing Machine."


As a solo artist, my favorite is "Man in the Mirror."



4. Did you watch the original Charlie’s Angels?

Yes, I did. It wasn't a show that I watched regularly, though.

5. Did someone you know have that poster of Farrah?

OMG, yes! I think just about every boy at my high school had the Farrah poster.

6. Did you consider her battle with cancer heroic?

I think that we focus too much on celebrities and when they battle horrific diseases like cancer, we call it "heroic." Farrah fought valiantly to save her life; however, I wouldn't go so far as to say that makes her battle any more "heroic" than the ones that thousands of others continue to fight against cancer.

7. Were you a fan of The Tonight Show Starring Johnnie Carson?

I've never been able to stay awake long enough to watch any of the late night talk shows.

8. Did you like Ed McMahon on the show?

I never saw him on the show.

9. What else will you remember McMahon for?

I will remember Ed McMahon most for his last appearance on the Larry King Show a couple of years ago. The image of this dignified elderly man, who I knew best from the days when he hosted Star Search, explaining that his home was in foreclosure, absolutely broke my heart. Here was a man who, after giving the entertainment industry his life, was now too old to find the work he needed in order to pay his bills. I found it utterly shameful, and the image of Mr. McMahon looking so frail and vulnerable is forever etched in my memory.

Labels: , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
6 Responses
  1. Nessa Says:

    May they all rest in peace.


  2. ItaJeff Says:

    Assalamualaikum Warrahmatullahi Wabarakatuh..
    Hi dear Carleen, how are you?
    I love your posting today..

    Lots of luv,
    Ita


  3. anthonynorth Says:

    Yep, Jackson will be most remembered for all the bad things.


  4. Well done. I found your take on McMahon interesting. Enjoy your Saturday...


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Oh my goodness I forgot about Dancing Machine. A great song. May they all rest in peace :)


  6. Xmichra Says:

    I didn't know about the house with McMahon, that is sad. Kinda makes me wonder what his budgetting skills were like... but still. sad.

    enjoyed your answers :)

    I also checked out two of your other blogs, had no idea that many books, and really good books, were being challenged for censorship. To me, that is plain crazy... but I am a bit of a nutbar so I hear ;)

    have a great weekend!


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?