Carleen

  • Gawd, the heat is back! Camry, the otherwise loveable kitty, is in heat again. This time, though, she's gone beyond the chirping of a week or so ago and has moved up to the full on cat calling. She rolls all over the floor, yowls at my feet, and walks with her hind end up in the air as if it's on display for every Tom in the household. Unfortunately for her, the only Tom is Marlowe, who was neutered several years ago and would rather play chase the mouse than set up house. I keep telling myself that it's only a few more days until her spay appointment, but I don't know if I can last that long. I had completely forgotten how utterly obnoxious female cats in heat can be!


  • The Brain is still throwing its weight around. I spent much of the weekend fighting off headaches. Sunday looked really promising, as I didn't wake up with a headache as I have been; however, the headache's kissing cousin showed up after I had been awake for about an hour. Same thing on Monday. I woke up with a headache shortly after one, had a seizure at 1:24 a.m., then another at 3:48 a.m. Although I had been headache free since about noon, another seizure came at 7:16 p.m. You know, The Brain is beginning to remind me of those crazy dictators in North Korea and Iran -- throw its weight around long enough to make me nervous, then slink away to watch the worry that follows. Thankfully, Dr. S will be on call for a week starting on the 19th, and that's when she's going to do her best to squeeze me in to see her.

  • I'm not a big fan of Western movies. Never have been. I wasn't inspired to watch them when, as a kid, I learned that the Red Ryder Round-Up, the annual rodeo in my dad's hometown of Pagosa Springs, Colorado, was held in honor of Fred Harman, an elderly man I knew who also happened to be a famous author and illustrator of a comic book series of the same name. Heck, Mr. Harman's creation has maintained its fame thanks to one young boy's obsession with getting a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas. Still, I wasn't interested in watching cowboy movies. Even when John Wayne filmed The Cowboys in Pagosa and my grandmother called to tell us that she had lunch with him, I wasn't really interested in seeing the movie. I've seen it since then, though. Anyway, the only Western movie that I can honestly say I feel is worth watching is Lonesome Dove, based on Larry McMurtry's novel of the same name. I saw the movie when it first aired on television, then bought and read the book. It was every bit as awesome as the movie. So when I learned that a 20th anniversary airing of Lonesome Dove was on this weekend, I watched it twice -- between naps!

  • I've been itching to change my blog template and design. I really want a 3-column design that has the post portion sandwiched between two sidebar columns, but I haven't found one that I like yet. If only I weren't graphically challenged, I'd design one myself! Alas, until I overcome the challenge of the puny-pixelled or win the lottery and can afford to pay for a customized one, the quest for a freebie continues.

  • Am I the only one who thinks the whole David Letterman vs. Sarah Palin, et al is ridiculous? Considering that the economy is floundering, we're fighting a couple of wars in foreign countries, North Korea is issuing thinly-veiled nuclear threats, Iran is in an upheaval over the possibility of a rigged election, and we can't figure out how to ensure that all Americans have access to affordable medical care, don't you think that Governor Palin's rhetoric would be better served addressing some of these issues instead of a couple of jokes made by a late night talk show host? If this is a taste of what's to come should she become the Republican front-runner for the next presidential election, I want to buy stock in the production company that handles the soap opera version!

5 Responses
  1. Nessa Says:

    I find most things the media hypes to be a waste of time and totally blown out of proportion.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Adorable cat!! I hope you get in to see the doc soon! I love your blog template. I'd try to change mine but the one time I did that, I lost all my widgits! I tried to copy it over to wordpress -- maybe move there. But I don't like wordpress. I like the three-column design too and would love to find one for blogger. Maybe later this summer when I have time to play I'll work on it some more.

    I think Letterman should be fired. He's a sleaze and nowhere near as funny as he thinks he is. The MSM shows only what they want to and they have their own spin on things, especially when it has something to do with one of the MSM networks. The real news is on cable and the Internet now and that trend has been going on for a couple of years. Soon the regular networks will be in the same boat that the newspapers and magazines are now -- going away fast!

    Have a great week. I'm heading out this morning for the campground and taking the dogs. It's a short drive but for that less-than-an-hour, I can pretend I'm 20 again and going on a solo road trip! Except I can blast the radio cause the doggies don't like that.

    laters :) I hope you have a good day today!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    ROFLMAO...Play mouse and not house...too funny

    I cannot wait until you get squeezed in for your doctor's appointment, as you are well aware of that fact.

    I like the 3 column as well. Just doesn't seem to me to be as cluttered that way. I hate picking out themes, that's why when I saw what I did I am sticking with it...well at least for a while.

    I for one think Letterman pulled a huge mistake on this. However, that being said, let sleeping dogs lie. Apologize and move on. As you say, we have too many pressing issues to deal with. Let's get on with it. I wouldn't mind Palin, and don't mind, her being out in the lime light. Gives plenty of fodder for us.

    Take care my friend :)


  4. Carleen Says:

    What bothers me the most about the whole Letterman vs. Palin thing is that comedians tell jokes in bad taste on a regular basis, yet they aren't called on the carpet for them like Letterman has been. If I raised a ruckus every time a comedian made an off-color joke about Muslims, I'd have no time to blog!

    I don't care that Palin is in the spotlight, either. I just hate to see a man with an otherwise unblemished reputation being dragged through the mud for no good reason other than to get that spotlight.

    More than anything else, though, is the fact that it irks me to think that censorship is the way to solve the problem. You don't like the jokes, don't watch the show. Problem solved.


  5. RA Says:

    Camry looks so innocent in the shot, I wouldn't guess that she was on heat. LOL. So sorry to read about the seizures, I hope you will be feeling better soon. I think I can recall a little bit of Lonesome Dove. I already love your template, but if you feel for a change I will be waiting for the new look. We have an upcoming President election here next month, and I agree that the candidates/politicians should stick to the main issues.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?