Carleen
Last week, we asked you about how you watch movies. Quite a few of you shared how you watch from your own collection. So now we would like a glimpse into your collection of movies. Even if you don't have a physical collection to share, you must have some stored on the DVR, downloaded onto the laptop or ones that you rent over and over and over. We'll show you ours if you show us yours! Don't be shy - share on your blog and link back here at The Bumbles.

Here we go!


Most Viewed: Ella Enchanted and Raising Helen are tied for this category. I've talked before about the sleeping issues that The Brain causes me to have and how I live with them by keeping a DVD in the portable player that lives beside my bed. These two movies spent months, quite literally, in the portable DVD player and were used as my "let's try to fall asleep" movies. Despite what might seem like a negative attachment to them, I really do like both films.

Never Viewed: My dad gave me a 5-DVD collection of documentaries about the ancient world for my birthday. I haven't had time yet to open and watch them. Now that I am retired, though, I expect that problem to be solved soon!

Afraid to Admit You Own: Honestly, I can't think of any. I don't buy DVDs unless I know the movie is one that I will watch more than once; it doesn't make fiscal sense for me to own a DVD that I will view as many times as I was willing to pay to see the movie in a theater.

Guilty Pleasure: Billy Jack, hands down! There was a movie theater in a neighboring city that offered super cheap prices on Saturday matinees. My parents would give me and my sisters $1.00 each, enough money to buy our tickets and get something from the concession stand, and drop us off for a couple of hours of freedom for them and heaven for us. My first real job was at this movie theater, and it was there where my sisters and I encountered our first movie hero, Billy Jack. I think that there are a total of five Billy Jack films, but I have been able to find only the first one on DVD. The movie is unbelievably cheesy by today's standards; however, I still watch it through the eyes of a 1970's adolescent.

Most Shared: Raise the Red Lantern has to be the movie that I have shared the most. There is something positively haunting about this film; it is at once uplifting and horrifying, real yet fantastic. There may be other films that I would rank higher on my list of favorites than this one, but none of them surpass the story of Songlian when it comes to recommendations!

Why Did We Buy This: Like the Afraid to Admit You Own category, I can't think of anything to fill this one. If I doubt that I will watch it more than once, I don't buy the DVD. Instead, I'll wait until I can see the movie on one of our many satellite channels.

Most Treasured: Much of my DVD collection consists of documentaries and in my book, none of them rates even close to Ken Burns' The Civil War. I have watched this film so many times that the Amazing Egyptian Dude and my Dear Daughter have both threatened me with physical harm if I ever watch it again while they are a home. Lucky for me, I burned a copy of it onto my laptop and can watch it while I work without fearing for my life!

Wildcard: I love old movies and musicals! Among the favorites in my collection would have to be Pillow Talk, Flower Drum Song, Young at Heart, South Pacific, and Calamity Jane. Can you tell that I also adore Doris Day?


Labels: , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
7 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    You know I don't do movies much but I always look forward to reading your list. Excellent as usual :)


  2. The Bumbles Says:

    I love the Ken Burns documentaries too. But I have never made it through all of any of them. My dad has the Civil War series - I should borrow it from him. I liked the Baseball one a lot (shocker I know). Not For Ourselves Along was really good about Susan B. Anthony. But The War was the one that really sucked me in - I could watch docs all day long.


  3. RA Says:

    Great meme with interesting answers! I love Doris Day, too. Have a wonderful day, Carleen :)


  4. Shauna Says:

    Carleen my friend...

    Movies get me through the evenings especially when the pain is bad. I have a tough time recalling movies just from the title unless it's one of my favs.

    "What's Eating Gilbert Grape', 'Unfaithful', and 'The Departed' are 3 that come to mind that I remember!! whohooooo

    Gentle Hugs girl...Nice Post!!


  5. Carleen Says:

    Shauna, if anyone who reads this blog would know what I mean about using movies to deal with pain or an inability to sleep, it would have to be you and Sherlock!

    Rosidah, it seems like the more we post, the more we have in common! :)

    The Bumbles, I have The War, too and although I really, really like it, I don't think that Ken Burns could make anything better than The Civil War. Maybe I'm too biased, LOL!

    Thom, do you watch documentaries at all? I could make some seriously good recommendations for you. Let me bring you over to the dark side! ;)


  6. Caspette Says:

    Some lovely movies listed there. Elle Enchanted is so cute.

    Cant say I have ever hear of Billy Jack. My first real job was also at a cinema so Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon has a special place in my heart for that reason.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog.


  7. Anonymous Says:

    I watch some...if they are interesting


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?