Carleen

Header from samulli
Click here to see other entries or to play along.

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you'll already know that I am a Geek who loves things that teach me something. As a result, I'm hooked on documentary films and now, podcasts. I had heard my students talking about podcasts but knew nothing about them until I got an iPhone two years ago. Now, I not only know about podcasts, but I subscribe to approximately 30 different ones! So this week, my list is for my Top 13 Educational Podcasts. Whenever possible, I've included a link to the RSS feed just in case you might be interested in listening, too. if you use iTunes, most of them are available there, too. Enjoy!

1. Stuff You Missed in History Class: In addition to hosts with pleasant voices and some really quirky topics, these brief (10-20 minutes long) podcasts make history lessons lots of fun! Some of the recent topics include things like
  • Did Betsy Ross Really Make the First American Flag?
  • Was There Reall a Pied Piper of Hamelin?
  • How Hitler's Propaganda Machine Worked
  • Will the World Really End in 2012?
  • Does My Vote Count?
2. This American Life: Part of the Chicago Public Radio programming, This American Life offers mostly real stories from, by, and about real people. Some are funny, some are sad, some are poignant, all are good and offer a life lesson to be learned. Immensely popular, the radio show has become a television show; both have won numerous international awards.

3. PRI's The World: American Influence: The World's American Influence covers US foreign policy, from inside Washington to the far corners of the globe. I've learned a great deal about the way our government interacts with others from this podcast.

4. Bill Moyers Journal: Moyers' popular PBS show in podcast form. Topics range from politics to ethics to faith, and everything in between.

5. American Experience: Listen to introductory segments for new and upcoming American Experience programs, America's most-watched history series. This one doesn't really "teach" per se, but if you're a fan of this series, it's a great way to stay on top of upcoming episodes.

6. The News Hour with Jim Lehrer: Daily, in-depth news and analysis from the Web site of the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer.

7. 60 Minutes (Full Broadcast): I don't always remember to watch 60 Minutes when it airs on television, so this podcast is a godsend for me. It's the full show in audio form!

8. The Marketplace of Ideas: The Marketplace of Ideas is a radio show and podcast about books, culture, commerce and fascinating concepts.

9. President Obama's Weekly Radio Address: The weekly address to the nation by President Barack Obama.

10. Hunting Humbug 101: A crash course in shooting down bad arguments. Two skeptics examine poor reasoning - 1 fallacy each week - real fallacies from pseudoscience, science misconceptions, politics, philosophy and media. Learn how to argue using logic and reason instead of emotion.

11. Great Books -- A Chapter a Day: A free audio book podcast of the best books and poems ever written. Choose any book or poem from the online library and click to listen. A great book is labeled thus because its themes are universal and transcend time, language, country, and culture. The end result is that there's always something to learn from reading a great book.

12. Living Books for the Ears: This weekly podcast offers "old time radio" adaptations of great books and historic stories. These fully dramatized half hour audio programs are a terrific way to introduce kids to these classic tales. But everyone, young or old, will enjoy listening to these excellent, wholesome radio adaptations (in great sound quality).

13. Old Time Radio Thrillers: Old Time Radio Network Thrillers, thrilling mystery, espionage, and political intrigue. Step into the world of action and Psychological twist that will keep you on the edge of your seat.



Labels: , , , , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
19 Responses
  1. Hootin Anni Says:

    That hunting humbug 101 sounds like it would be very interesting.

    My Thirteen is posted...a message to all cats/dogs AND their owners. All in fun! Happy day wishes to you....


  2. Hazel Says:

    I love your list because I love learning too. I gotta update myself on podcasts. I would love that stuff I missed in History Class and Hunting Humbug 101. There's a wealth of knowledge to be had on your post today. Thanks for sharing. Mine is up as well. Happy TT.


  3. RA Says:

    I am amazed how many wonderful memes we have in the Blogosphere! You have a very interesting list here, Carleen. Thank you for sharing :).


  4. I am Harriet Says:

    Great list.
    I think there were several versions of the flag to choose from. I wasn't around then so I don't know for sure :)

    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/06/lovin-thursday.html


  5. colleen Says:

    The word used to remind me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers which had pods in it. I'm afraid to get into them because I'm online too much as it is. I'll stick with PBS where I can see several of the ones you mentioned. I love documentaries too. You must be a 5 on the enneagram like me.


  6. mielikki Says:

    I'm going to have to go check a few of these out, great TT!
    and now, I am wondering where, in my little bitty town, I am going to find someone to make me that food you recommended. MMMMMM


  7. Janet Says:

    My cousin was inspired by This American Life and sat down with her Mom and got her memories of my Dad for his memorial service. It was just beautiful!


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Great list! I've been hearing about podcasts, but all the ones I've run into so far were lame. These are great!


  9. Jientje Says:

    I was not familiar with them until I read this post, but I think it's a wonderful idea. I also enjoy learning new things as much as I can.


  10. i love it!
    dont recall when learning took place last but this is indeed an inspiring list :0
    Happy TT

    http://2short2sweet.blogspot.com/2009/06/yes-to-power-13.html


  11. Lori Says:

    What a cool list!


  12. Anonymous Says:

    Great list. The only one we have in commong is 60 Minutes. I listen to all of CNET's podcasts, Slate and various others. I subscribe to about 50 of them LOL...I have to cut back on some but i have them going all the time I'm on my computer :) Thanks for sharing I'm going to check out a couple of them you have suggested :)


  13. Thanks so much for the first one -- I'd didn't know about it!

    (My TT is here; I can't use it as my comment/login.)


  14. I used to be a podcast junky... and seeing a couple of these things, I may re-take up the listening!


  15. Great list. I'll have to show hubby. He enjoys podcasts too.


  16. Tracey Says:

    Wonderful list - I would love to listen to some of these! Thanks for sharing.


  17. This is great! I'll be back to click on links and download.


  18. Rims Says:

    Thats a good way to learn and share

    Thanks for stooping by on my TT

    Happy TT


  19. Gattina Says:

    I think your and my history lessons were very different ! I learned all about Europe first !


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?