Carleen

Post about 5 favorite things from the past week. It can be anything that tickled your fancy: favorite quotes, posts, happenings, scriptures, recipes, pictures, great internet finds, etc., etc. Be as detailed as you like, the more detail the more fun for those of us visiting. Susanne, the hostess, just asks that it be kept family friendly. Click here to play along with us.

Each patient ought to feel somewhat the better after the physician's visit, irrespective of the nature of the illness. ~Warfield Theobald Longcope

1. Although Dr. S told me that it would take 2-3 days before the oxygen was delivered, I was awakened from a nap yesterday afternoon by a telephone call informing me that a delivery person was knocking on my door and would like to set up the oxygen tank my doctor had ordered. Talk about service!
Of course, as soon as it was set up, Camry had to investigate it. That darn thing is almost as tall as I am! For the time being, it is in the living room, right near my napping couch. I'll have the Amazing Egyptian Dude find a place for it in the bedroom soon because the headaches for which it is supposed to help come most often at night, when I am asleep.


2. Since I've been spending more time at home than usual, I sent the Amazing Egyptian Dude to the market with a shopping list so that we'll have food to cook. Rising to the occasion, I actually cooked dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday! Now that there's only two of us at home, it's hard to get used to cooking in greatly reduced amounts, but I managed. On Wednesday, I made some of my favorite Egyptian dishes. Martha Stewart, I am not. Neither am I a great photographer and because we keep our camera at the business where it gets used regularly, I had to rely on my iPhone for the pictures. Getting the lighting just right with iPhone camera is challenging at best since it has no flash.

Babaghanoush

is a dip made with roasted eggplant, roasted onion, roasted garlic, tahini (ground sesame seed paste), vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, cumin, green chili, and olive oil. Due to the fact that I make this from experience rather than a recipe, I can't give you measurements; however, I found a recipe online that looks really similar. As much as I love to eat this dish fresh, it is one of those that truly tastes much, much better on the second day after the flavor of the roasted veggies settle and the chilis spice it up.


and Musa'a


The second dish is an eggplant casserole. Usually, the eggplant is sliced and fried before it's put into the baking dish. I opted to bake the eggplant this time instead of frying it, which leaves a lot of oil -- not so healthy -- floating to the top when it's baked. Basically, you layer the eggplant with fried ground beef, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper that has been cooked into a basic tomato sauce. Egyptians eat this one cold, but I like it hot and serve it that way. The Amazing Egyptian Dude tolerates this quirk and eats it my way now.

3. The new iPhone update is installed on my phone! This inspired me to clean up my iTunes to make it easier to sync the phone. The clean-up has taken much longer than I anticipated that it would, so it's still not finished. However, I did manage to remove nearly 300 duplicate songs already. I love "greatest hits" and boxed sets from a single artist, but they sure can clutter up your iTunes, especially when you have the original albums with those hits on them.

4. I registered for the summer class this morning. I am officially a student once again! Considering that The Brain wants to take control of everything I do these days, I decided that one class for now would be sufficient. This one is an introductory class to Microsoft Office and although I wanted an online version of it, I had to take the classroom one instead. So, I'll be pretending that I'm not a retired professor every Tuesday and Thursday morning from 9-12 for the next 6 weeks starting on Tuesday. This should be lots of fun!

5. Anybody have a great peach cobbler recipe they'd be willing to share with me? My mother used to make peach cobbler all summer long, and it has been years since I've had it. I tried to explain it to the Amazing Egyptian Dude, but my description makes it sound too much like pie and since he's not a big pie fan, he's not really interested in it. I know, though, that if I can make him a really great peach cobbler, he will love it. Please refer to #2 -- I need a fairly easy to follow recipe, LOL! Thanks y'all.


Labels: , , , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
10 Responses
  1. Pamela Says:

    Great list, Carleen! Yours is the second favorable recommendation for the iPhone - got to put one on my Christmas list. I love babaghanoush, my mouth is watering just reading your list of ingredients. Good luck with your class - I was what the British call a mature student but I loved every minute of it. I'm thinking about taking a class in the fall when my daughter goes to high school - Conversational Italian, I think.


  2. Hi Carleen

    I hope the oxygen helps your condition and that you feel better soon.

    I have a rhubarb cobblecake recipe up that I think might work with other fruit. Have a look. The biscuit part is delicious! And you cold just slice peaches with a little sugar for the fruit.


  3. Melissa Says:

    Babaghanoush sounds delicious! I don't have a recipe for peach cobbler, but that sounds pretty good, too. :)

    I hope the oxygen helps!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I'm not an eggplant fan, but that sounds good.

    Hope the oxygen helps with your headaches!

    I haven't made peach cobbler in ages, but I have an easy recipe I like that I'll try to look up a bit later. I like the ones with more of a pastry/biscuity topping than the oatmeal topping, but the latter seems more prevalent.


  5. Susanne Says:

    That dip sounds absolutely delicious! And I can't say I've ever tried that other dish either. That one sounds very good too.

    Hope the oxygen helps with those nighttime headaches!


  6. Melli Says:

    Mmmmmm... you have got my mouth watering now! I LOVE babaghanoush... and that Musa'a sounds very similar to something I tried at the Greek festival recently. It was YUMMY!

    Cobblers and pies really ARE very similar... But when I make cobbler, I just use the canned pie fruits and add a little cinnamon or ginger or whatever... and then make the crumbly crust with flour, sugar, brown sugar and butter... sprinkle it on top and bake. I don't really use measurements either -- I just know when it looks and tastes right. LOL!


  7. Willow Says:

    Anything containing tahini makes me happy! The food sounds wonderful.

    I am not home this week so I can't run to my grandma's recipe box and pull out her cobbler recipe. If my summer vacation brain remembers, I'll do it when I return home.

    Enjoy your class!


  8. Hazel Says:

    The cat looks curious:) "I am officially a student once again" - I wish I could say that too and soon. Learning is just a lot of fun, isn't it?

    It's my first time to join FFF. Have a great weekend.


  9. Nessa Says:

    An easy peach cobbler is to put canned bing peaches, already sliced in a buttered pan after draining the syrup and use Bisquick mix to make the topping. i think they even have a recipe on the box and it comes out wonderful.


  10. Anonymous Says:

    So those are the dishes you emailed me about. They look and sound delicious. I hate cleaning up my iTunes...it takes so much time and I'm also real anal about getting the album art work and lyrics...it does take time. Glad the O got there so quickly....I'll be anxious to hear how it goes...I don't want you to have another headache but if and when it does...get that baby flowing :) Me bake? LOL...gonna have to look elsewhere for that receipe LOL. Have a great Friday and a great weekend :)


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?