Carleen
OSM, over at One Sick Mother, compiled a reading list with one great book for each letter of the alphabet. I was inspired by her post and decided to make a list of my own, but with a twist. Instead of using the book title for each letter of the alphabet, I'm going to use the author's name. To make it even more funky, I opted to use either the first or last name of the author to fill a spot, thus William Shakespeare could go under W or S, as I see fit. Finally, I also left the selection open to fiction or non-fiction. Here's what I came up with:

A
Author: Ahdaf Soueif
Book: The Map of Love

B
Author: Giovanni Boccaccio
Book: The Decameron

C
Author: Charles Dickens
Book: The Mystery of Edwin Drood

D
Author: John Dewey
Book: Democracy and Education

E
Author: Euripides
Book: Electra

F
Author: Flannery O'Connor
Book: Wise Blood

G
Author: Gottfried von Strassburg
Book: Tristan and Isolde

H
Author: David Hume
Book: A Treatise of Human Nature

I
Author: Henrik Ibsen
Book: Peer Gynt

J
Author: Jacques Maritain
Book: Reflections on America

K
Author: Franz Kafka
Book: The Trial

L
Author: Lucian of Samosata
Book: The Passing of Peregrinus

M
Author: Naguib Mahfouz
Book: Arabian Nights and Days

N
Author: Vladimir Nabokov
Book: Lolita

O
Author: Ovid
Book: Metamorphoses

P
Author: Alexander Pope
Book: Essay on Man

Q
Author: Quentin Skinner
Book: The Foundations of Modern Political Thought

R
Author: Raymond Chandler
Book: The Long Goodbye

S
Author: Nawal el-Saadawi
Book: Memoirs from the Women's Prison

T
Author: Alexis de Toqueville
Book: Democracy in America

U
Author: Unknown
Book: The Poem of the Cid

V
Author: Victor Hugo
Book: Les Miserables

W
Author: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Book: Evangeline

X
Author: Malcolm X
Book: The Autobiography of Malcolm X

Y
Author: Kawabata Yasunari
Book: Snow Country

Z
Author: Zora Neale Hurston
Book: Their Eyes Were Watching God


I have no clue how long it will take me to get through this list, but I'm going to give it a fair go. Once I've finished a book, I'll review, critique, or analyze it as the mood strikes me. Wish me luck!


Labels: , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
8 Responses
  1. RA Says:

    Okay, good luck then! It is a long list, but I see that it is worth going for :).


  2. Nessa Says:

    This is a great list and extremely varied.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Good luck with this. That's some list :)


  4. Robin Says:

    Great list. I've read a shamefully small number of them, but I did read Le Cid in French many (many!) years ago. That should count double for that one ;-).


  5. What a great blog! I just came across it and decided to follow your updates.


  6. Says:

    Carleen, thanks so much for the vote over at MWO. :O)


  7. The Bumbles Says:

    Oh phew! When I first scanned through your post I thought it was a list of great books you had already read and I was feeling very insignificant in my reads!


  8. Amazing list, Carleen. You did alot of work --deciding which books to use. I'm impressed.

    Hope you have a wonderful Sunday.
    Hugs,
    Betsy


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?