Carleen

It's a place to come on Friday's and think back over your week and just post about 5 favorite things from your week. It can be anything that tickled your fancy over the week. Favorite quotes, posts, happenings, scriptures, recipes, pictures, great internet finds, etc., etc. Go ahead and grab the button and make your own post. Be as detailed as you like, the more detail the more fun for those of us visiting. Susanne, the hostess, just asks that it be kept family friendly. Click here to play along with us.

1. I love African Violets, and my kitchen is filled with them. They're all in bloom at the moment and as much as I need to split this one into at least 3 additional pots, I couldn't stand the thought of killing the blooms. Transplanting can wait.


2. My obsession with The Phantom of the Opera was reborn this week. It may be driving everyone else around me bonkers, but I'm having a great time watching the movie several times a day.




3. Earlier in the week I mentioned that one of my cats, Camry, was in heat. I scheduled an appointment for her to be spayed on June 22. Wouldn't you know it that just when I get everything set with the vet's office, she goes back to normal! It doesn't really matter; she still needs to be spayed and besides, the next couple of weeks should be much more pleasant with her not in heat and chirping all over the house!

4. Because I wake up before the possums go to bed, I managed to see President Obama's speech in the Amazing Egyptian Dude's homeland in real time. I have to say that it was fantastic to hear the president of my country acknowledge my value to it as an educated Muslim woman who wears a scarf. Yep -- the times, they are a changin'!

5. A dear friend sent me the following in an email; it was the highlight of my entire week:



President Obama bends over so the son of a White House staff member can pat his head during a family visit to the Oval Office May 8, 2009. The youngster wanted to see if the President's haircut felt like his own. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)


This little boy wanted to see if the President's hair felt like his. For some reason, it made me burst into tears. Perhaps I cried at the beautiful demonstration of a child's curiosity when he hasn't been "shushed." Maybe it was the thought that this young boy could see part of himself in the President of the United States for the very first time. More than likely, I cried at the humble way President Obama bent down to the boy's level and allowed him to feel his hair.



Labels: , , , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
4 Responses
  1. RA Says:

    Lovely African Violets! I agree to you, the transplanting can wait. I never have seen Phantom of the Opera, but I know the story. You got me curious. I really hope that the times are changing. Everyone should be able to live his/her religion in peace. There should be no discrimination and difficulties for Muslim women to wear a scarf. The photo of President Obama taking a bow in front of the child is so touching.


  2. Susanne Says:

    Welcome to Fave Fives. It's so nice to have your join in!

    Beautiful african violets. I recieved some as a Mother's day gift from my daughter. Do you have any tips on growing them? Do they blossom constantly or do they have blooming seasons?

    Sweet picture of the president. Thanks for sharing that.


  3. Pamela Says:

    Great picture of the President and the little boy! Is it the Gerard Butler/Emmy Rossum version of the movie that you are watching? My daughter loves The Phantom of the Opera and has watched the movie dozens of times. We have seen three of Sarah Brightman and never fail to get chills when she sings "The Phantom of the Opera" - her voice is amazing.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Love the African Violets. They are so pretty. Phantom of the Opera...thanks for sharing. I so enjoyed that video. You are going to get me hooked on this. That will be good for Camry and for your sake as well. I watched Obama's speech live also. As I work nights and then do a lot of my computer stuff by the time I was done he was on. Was interesting to say the least. I've seen that photo before. Kids will do the darndest thing. I hope you are well my friend. Happy Friday and have a great weekend :)


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?