Carleen
Share some of your favorite movies from the '80's on your blog and link back to The Bumbles.

It looks like we have two choices for this week's movie meme, and I have to admit to being thrilled about it because the other option, Hitchcock films, is one I would have had to pass. I'm not such a fan of Hitchcock's work and can count on one hand the number of his films I have actually seen from start to finish. Sorry, Bumbles!

Memorable Movies from the 80's

It wasn't until I began to compile this list that I realized how many of the movies that I watch over and over and over again, most of the time with my daughter (born in 1982), came from the 80's! When I did, though, I changed my list to include only those movies that I have seen 10 or more times because if I didn't do this, my list would be way toooooo long!

The Goonies (1985): My absolute favorite movie of all time. "Do the truffle shuffle!"

Labyrinth (1986): I love the story, love the music, love the Bowie! "Nothing is as it seems in this place."

Valley Girl (1983): Nicholas Cage before he was NICHOLAS CAGE. "Man, he's like tripendicular, ya know?"

Beetlejuice (1988): I'm still looking for a copy of the Handbook for the Recently Deceased. "I'm the ghost with the most, babe."

Dirty Dancing (1987): Coming of age stories don't get any better than this one! "Me? I'm scared of everything. I'm scared of what I saw, I'm scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you."

The Karate Kid (1984): Other than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, the Amazing Egyptian Dude is not one who watches movies multiple times like I do. Except for this one. "Wax on. Wax off."

9 to 5 (1980): Who'd have thunk that Ms. Dolly could act? "If you ever say another word about me or make another indecent proposal, I'm gonna get that gun of mine, and I'm gonna change you from a rooster to a hen with one shot!"

Urban Cowboy (1980): As someone who grew up on country music, I have to admit to being genuinely excited to find it taking such a prominent place in the pop culture of the 80's, thanks to this film. "I was country when country wasn't cool." (That's not from the film, it's from a Barbara Mandrell song of the same period, but it sums up my feelings perfectly.)

Romancing the Stone (1984): Kathleen Turner gave one of her best performances ever in this film. "That was the end of Grogan... the man who killed my father, raped and murdered my sister, burned my ranch, shot my dog, and stole my Bible!"

Better Off Dead (1985): Oh, the joys of teenage angst! And don't forget to pay the paperboy! "I want my two dollars!"

Other favorites from the 80's include: A Fish Called Wanda (1988), The Color Purple (1985),
The Elephant Man (1980), The Little Mermaid (1989), The Neverending Story (1984), The Princess Bride (1987), Somewhere in Time (1980), The Worst Witch (1986), and Xanadu (1980).


Labels: , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
5 Responses
  1. RA Says:

    I have seen The Karate Kid and Romancing The Stone. Great choices. Hope you're doing fine, Carleen :)


  2. Anonymous Says:

    WOOT...finally some movies I've seen. I loved Romancing the Stone, Urban Cowbowy and one of my all time favorties is Drity Dancing. Great list my friend. BTW your vote for me button. When I click on that it brings up another page and I click on vote. I don't know if it's registering because I can keep doing it. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Aloha my friend :)


  3. Goonies was one of my favorites as well. This was when I was first starting in my 20 something years of being a 35mm Projectionist. The scenes with the Pirate Ship and Anne Ramsay were classic. Loved the film.

    Good choice of movies, though one of my all time favorites in the 1980's was Cocoon.

    later

    Bill


  4. Sherrie Says:

    Hi!
    Great list! My favorite from your list would be 9 to 5. Have a great day!!

    Sherrie


  5. The Bumbles Says:

    Oh - I forgot about The Goonies!!! And Better Off Dead - John Cusack is such a doll. Paper boy from hell. I saw Romancing The Stone in the theater - that scene of him landing in her lap in the mud cracked me up then - and it still does.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?