Carleen
First, I have to say that I have the most amazing neurologist ever! Not only did she squeeze me into her tightly packed schedule, but she did so on her own time. When I got to the clinic today to sign in, the receptionist was confused because Dr. S, according to the schedule, was not in today. Following the instructions that Dr. S emailed me at 8 last night, I was to tell the receptionist to call upstairs for her. When Dr. S's assistant didn't even know that I was coming in, that's when I knew what this wonderful physician had done for me. I wish that everyone had such a caring physician!

Because I didn't want to take up too much of her time, I made a list of symptoms on the notepad on my marvelous iPhone. Dr. S read the list, asked some questions, checked reflexes and so on, and then told me what she thinks the problem is. She is pretty sure that I am having clusters of cluster headaches with a few migraines thrown in for good measure. So what do we do for them?

First, I will be adding a new medication to my ever-growing pharmacy. I've forgotten what it's called, but it's a medication commonly prescribed for high blood pressure that also works well for migraines. My blood pressure is fine, so that's not an issue. I'll start on a low dose of 40mg twice a day. The pharmacy in her clinic didn't have the med; however, the one closest to my home does. The Amazing Egyptian Dude will pick it up on his way home.

Second, oxygen. Oxygen, says Dr. S works wonders on cluster headaches. Soon, the pharmacy will deliver an oxygen tank and mask to my home. Then the next time I get a cluster headache, I am to use the oxygen for up to 30 minutes, and it should solve the problem.

We shall see.

Labels: , , , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
6 Responses
  1. Nessa Says:

    Wow, what a fantastic doctor. Good luck with your new regimen. I hope your headaches go away.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    You made my day Zip. I'm so thankful do your doctor. If I had her email I'd email her and thank her myself. Sounds to me like great news for ya. Something that can be controlled. I was so worried that it was something far worse and I'm so glad it's not. FOLLOW the doctors orders YA HEAR...Much aloha my friend :)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    What great news -- first that she is so wonderful and saw you on her own time and second that she provided some treatment options. Have you not had these types of headaches before? I was wondering what led to a new diagnosis of types of headaches and therefore a targeted treatment for those specific headaches.

    Hope the new treatments work! appreciate the update!!


  4. Carleen Says:

    Yep, Sherlock, I've had these types of headaches before. What made them different and forced me to see Dr. S is that the pain intensified and the headaches became so mixed up that I couldn't tell which type it was to determine which medication to take. And when I did take meds, they didn't help.

    What's unusual, more like rare, according to Dr. S is that the clusters and migraines are coming together; i.e., a migraine between a cluster.

    What I'm hoping for now is a preventative course of treatment instead of one focused on pain management.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    I understand now :-) Your doc seems to be right on top of things and I'm sure if there's a way to approach this from a preventative direction, she'll figure it out!


  6. Michele Says:

    I hope this regime works for you!! I keep hoping that something along the line clicks in... I know how frustrating it can be.

    Take care.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?