Carleen

Yikes, this week's theme is all about TRAUMA over at The Bumbles! It took me a while to come up with a list of "movies that have shaken [me] to the core so much that [I've] never been the same because of them," but here's what I recalled.

(Sorry for posting early; I'll be out and about early in the morning and don't want to miss getting this posted tomorrow.)

Iphigenia (1977): Ok, I know this story is based on myth; however, Agamemnon's willingness to sacrifice his daughter in order to get some wind to carry the ships to Troy so that the Greek armies could fight a war is a piss poor excuse for infanticide if you ask me! When I first saw this movie, my mom had been dead less than a year, and I wasn't liking my dad very much. It wasn't too difficult for me to imagine him wanting to feed me to the lions every once in a while. Now that I'm older and wiser, I can't blame him if he were looking to whip up some winds to carry his ships away, LOL!

The Three Lives of Thomasina (1964): I saw this movie when I was five, and I remember that we were at the drive-in. This Disney classic isn't really scary at all, but it traumatized me no end to think that Thomasina might really be dead and then scared the beejeebers out of me at the thought that the "witch" could bring her back to life.

Helter Skelter (1976): Although is one is a TV movie, it still traumatized me. Charles Manson and his cronies committed their crimes not far from where I grew up. My older cousin, Susan, thought it would be cool to see the crime scenes, so she loaded up me, my sisters, and some other cousins in the family wagon and took us up the hills to Cielo Drive, where Sharon Tate's home was. We may not have been able to get very close, but we got close enough that the experience is forever etched in my memory.

Honestly, not much scares or traumatizes me. Jaws didn't freak me out like it did so many people, and I thought The Exorcist was more gross and disgusting than scary. Maybe I'll do better with next week's theme!




Labels: , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
6 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I remember seeing that movie Helter Skelter. I think I would be like your cousin and want to go there and get as close as possible. It's just the nosiness in me :) Aloha


  2. RA Says:

    This is a very interesting meme. I have never seen any of these movies. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful week, Carleen :)


  3. Caspette Says:

    I am ashamed to say other then The three lives of Thomasina I dont know those movies. Its good though you are not easily scared I hate scary movies especially horrors!


  4. Nessa Says:

    The Deer Hunter really messed with my head for about a week. I have to be real careful what i watch, but I can read anything.


  5. The Bumbles Says:

    Oh yes - Helter Skelter - that was a creepy movie. I've seen it a bunch of times - almost like every time they re-run in on TV it follows me and I am stuck being horrified by it. I could never have gotten into your cousin's car - goosebumps!


  6. Daisy Says:

    Oh, I don't know any of these movies. And I have exorcist on my list. Ha! Jaws was just a so-so indeed. Anaconda is more scary.

    ;-)
    ~Daisy
    http://inlovewithdaisies.blogspot.com/


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?