Carleen
OrdinaryAndAwesome.com is the Chronicles of My Ordinary and Awesome Life, Family, and Thoughts. OrdinaryAndAwesome.com is the Mostly Wordless Wednesday headquarters as well as the home to several original awards and memes.


Portrait Bust of Maria Cerri Capranica
Guilano Finelli, 1640

I love museums! Lucky for me, Los Angeles has a few fantastic museums. The jewel in LA's museum crown, though, has to be The Getty. Actually, there are two Getty museums devoted to art: The Getty Villa and The Getty Center.

The Getty Villa is the older of the two museums and my personal favorite. Nestled in the hills of Pacific Palisades, the museum is modeled after the ancient Villa dei Papiri, a Roman country house buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79. It houses a collection of Greek, Roman, and Etruscan antiquities arranged by themes including Gods and Goddesses, Dionysos and the Theater, and Stories of the Trojan War.

The Getty Center, a grand new museum center, holds the collections of European paintings, drawings, manuscripts, sculpture and decorative arts, and European and American photographs that used to be at the Villa. Today's photo of the bust comes from the Getty Center.


Labels: Bookmark and Share | edit post
4 Responses
  1. Nessa Says:

    I love getting lost in museums and just wandering.


  2. The Mud Bug Says:

    I love museums and so do my girls. That looks like an impressive one. Happy WW!

    http://mud-bug.com/2009/07/wordless-wednesday-stuck/


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I like to go into museums as well. These are great photos :)


  4. Sounds neat. I haven't been to a museum in forever.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?