Carleen

MONDAY MOVIE MEME

This week's movie topic is all about Walking Out...

Have you ever walked out of a theater? Demanded a refund after renting? Turned the channel? Share on your blog some of the movies that made you wish you had that time in your life back and then link back to The Bumbles. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants!

I haven't ever walked out on a movie in the theater, but I have changed the channel on the television or turned off a DVD because I couldn't stand what I was watching. First, I have to say that when it comes to entertainment, I'm not one who tolerates gratuitous sex or violence and if a film's dialogue contains more vulgarities than civil language, I just won't watch. So, my list of films that were a complete waste of my time includes:

Scarface: Ok, I know that the movie is about gangsters and that they probably don't talk like Mary Poppins; however, when every fifth word begins with the letter F, I go for the remote.

Titanic: Leonardo di Caprio may have palpitated the hearts of tweens and teens around the world with his performance in this film, but it's hard for me to think of a movie that I can't stand more than this one! To make a love story out of one of the most tragic events in contemporary history and shift focus away from the hubris that cost so many people their lives ought to be criminal.

White Noise: I didn't think it was possible, but the movie is even worse than the book! Bleh!

Ishtar: How in the world Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty were sold on this movie is simply beyond my ken. Comedy, you say? Pshaw!

Bram Stoker's Dracula: For anyone who has actually read Stoker's novel, this film goes beyond bowdlerization and sits squarely at the center of absolute farce. The plot is thick enough to make an imaginary love story between Dracula and Mina completely unnecessary. Sadly, most young people will never read Stoker's masterpiece and thus will never know the real story.

Dumb and Dumber: The title is enough for this one.

I could have gone on and on and on with this theme, but I'll spare you this time. Happy movie watching, everyone!

Labels: , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
5 Responses
  1. OK, I have to admit I was a sucker for Titanic. But I agree with you whole heartedly on Scarface. It amazes me whenever I see a young man wearing a Scarface t-shirt. Don't they get that he was a vain, stupid, coke-soaked loser? I can't imagine anyone even LIKING him, much less idolizing him.


  2. Lulu Says:

    Dumb and Dumber is a movie I won't try watching at all... the dvd cover alone is annoying


  3. Lynn Says:

    Ishtar, haha. I was still a little child when that was shown but even as an adult, I don't think I'll watch that.

    Sometimes too I can't stand Jim Carrey movies.


  4. Carleen Says:

    @The Gal Herself: I don't know anyone, really, who dislikes Titanic except me. My daughter thinks it's one of the best movies ever.

    @Lulu: I agree with you on the cover of the DVD for Dumb and Dumber. What a waste of a good blank DVD, LOL!

    @Lynn: Honestly, I haven't seen a single Jim Carrey movie that I like, it's just that the ones on my list irritate me more, LOL!


  5. The Bumbles Says:

    Ishtar - yes, I have heard that is awful! Dumb & Dumber has grown on me - I knew going in it would be one of those mindless comedies - thus the name - and the more times it pops up on TV the more I find myself chuckling - but that might just be because Andy's laugh is so contagious and he thinks it is pretty funny.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?