Carleen


Just a few things I've been thinking about . . .

What happened with the Firefox 3.5.1 update?
I won't use Internet Explorer unless absolutely hog-tied and forced. As a result, I've used other browsers forever. When Netscape, my old fave, went by the wayside and was replaced by Firefox, I made the switch and until last week, had no regrets. Then along comes the 3.5 update and suddenly, my otherwise very stable browser starts freaking out. Pages loaded then went grey. Restarting the browser didn't help. Clearing the cache didn't help. Rebooting the computer didn't help. The grey-out was random, didn't happen on every page, and didn't happen all the time.

I figured that I would live with it until the smart folks at Mozilla figured out they had a problem and fixed it. Enter update 3.5.1 two days later. I hoped this update would fix the problems that its predecessor created, but no such luck. The grey screen continued. I went to the Mozilla website and left a message asking for help to solve the problem on their discussion board. I haven't gotten any help yet, although several others have commented that they, too, are experiencing the issue.

Because it's hard to read a blog when the browser screen goes grey, I downloaded and starting using Google's Chrome browser. Its no-frills interface works fine for me, but it's just not Firefox!

What was I thinking about Outback Steakhouse?
Because we live so close to Disneyland, one of the main drags in our city is lined with restaurants and hotels. Within walking distance from my house are Joe's Crab Shack, Red Robin, Outback Steakhouse, Oggi's Pizzeria and Brewery, and Coco's. The Outback Steakhouse is always packed whenever we go to Joe's or Red Robin and being a steak and potatoes kinda gal, I've wanted to try the restaurant for quite some time. Last night, I convinced the Amazing Egyptian Dude that we really needed to have dinner at Outback, so off we went.

Even though it was nearly 8 o'clock, the restaurant was packed with a 10-20 minute wait for seating. We were seated at a small booth near the bar in about 10 minutes. Throughout the evening, the service was excellent. The food, however, left me wondering what the big deal was all about. I got a ribeye steak, baked potato, and vegetables; the Amazing Egyptian Dude got talapia topped with lobster and mushrooms and vegetables. First, I asked for the steak to be cooked medium well and got a well done steak. This isn't really a problem in terms of taste, but it does impact texture and chewiness. Worse, if it hadn't been for the fact that I asked for a bottle of A-1, the meat would have had no taste at all.

For a steakhouse, I found Outback to be sorely lacking. The steak portion of their menu was less than imaginative; the steak itself was flavorless. Our bill was nearly $50 for the two of us. I'm used to paying that much for the fantastic Brazilian BBQ buffet where I had lunch with the Fourth Grade BFFs a while back.

I still can't figure out what makes Outback Steakhouse so popular!


Labels: Bookmark and Share | edit post
9 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    First the Outback. I too think that is very over priced and the food is not all that good either. I can't figure it out as it is always busy both out here in Hawaii Kai and in Waikiki. I must say it's the price that most astounds me there.

    Firefox. I use it exclusively. IE I will not use just like you. It's horrible. Jientje had problems with her Firefox as well. Several times. She finally got it to work and I can't understand why it acts like it does sometimes. What I worked with her on in this is totally removing firefox from your computer and reinstalling a fresh copy. HERE is a link of how to uninstall it and remove the registry keys. You might want to research it even more about the registry keys. MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFOR YOU ATTEMPT THIS. Then I would install a fresh brand new copy of 3.5.1. Zip, I also am using Windows 7 RC. It's been terrific and I've had not one problem with it or firefox, and on the rare occasion I have to go and use IE it works well also, but I still don't like it. Chrome is good as a standby but other than that I don't really care for it. The speed is great on it, but that's about it. Hope this helps.


  2. Becki Says:

    I'm a fan of Outback's Bloomin Onion, myself. And amazingly enough, my two-year-old liked the piece of it we gave to her too! Silly kid :)


  3. Carleen Says:

    One thing's for sure, Thom, we won't be going back to Outback! It is unbelievably overpriced for the quality of the food. I'm glad that I got it out of my system, though.

    As for the Firefox, I uninstalled the 3.5.1 and downloaded a much older version (3.0.12) which gives me no trouble at all. The only thing that has me concerned is that one of these older versions has a known security issue; I just can't remember which one it is.

    Chrome is fast and has multiple tabs which I really like (that's my favorite feature of Firefox), but it is so doggone basic and limited that it drives me nuts.

    I'll see if I can find the instructions for reinstalling the latest Firefox and let you know what happens. I really do miss it!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I like our Outback here. It's the only place I can get a steak done just right. Other places always cook it too much. I like mine medium-well, closer to medium than well. I tell them if they don't cook it enough, no problem cause it's easy to cook it a little tiny bit more. Then I tell them if they cook it too much, they're going to have to toss it cause I'm gonna want another one done right.

    About firefox -- knock on wood here cause as soon as I say this, I'm toast -- BUT .. so far no problems with firefox. It's all I use.

    I'll let you know tomorrow if I start having problems now that I've said I don't!

    *lol*


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Hey I like basic and no-frills. Maybe I should try Chrome?


  6. I am not much for going out to Restaurants to eat, and when I do I go to Out of the Way Ma n' Pa kind of Restaurants. I just find the food much better and more reasonably priced. We have one diner here called the Blackfoot Diner, it's a truck stop. The same lady has been running it from day one. The Food is Awesome.

    I refuse to use IE unless I really have to. I like Firefox but also use Opera as well. I had to uninstall Firefox and reinstall and it seemed to help.

    Good luck with your Firefox.


  7. Drew Says:

    Are you kidding? I need addiction treatment for my craziness over Outback. There is nothing like a house salad and Outback Special on a Thursday night.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Did you click the link I left in my comment? :)


  9. Cherie Says:

    I don't know if you have your browser issues resolved, but I switched over to SeaMonkey awhile back when Firefox was giving me issues on my favorite message board. Both are Mozilla products, and I have not had a single issue with SeaMonkey.

    In case you're interested:
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?