Carleen



Then: August 1999

1. Age: 40 for two whole months

2. Romantic Status: You could have asked me this question in 1989 and got the same answer, still married.

3. Occupation: Teaching English at one university and two community colleges

4. Fun night out: Dinner and coffee with hubby and friends

5. My BFFs: Cindy and Iman

6. I spent way too much time: Trying to engage the disengaged, never realizing that they had checked out for a reason.

7. I spent not enough time: Monitoring my health and listening to warnings when they were first given.

8. I wanted to be when I grew up: I had been grown up for a long, long time already.

9. Biggest concern: My daughter's future

10. What my biggest concern should have been: No difference from #9

11. Where did I live: The same place where I live now.

12. Dumbest thing I did that year: I honestly don't remember.

13. If I could go back now and talk to myself I would say: Never, ever trust that everything is ok just because it seems like it is!

14. Picture of me then: I don't have a scanner.

Now: August 2009

1. Age: 50 for two whole months

2. Romantic Status: Still married to the same guy I was married to in 1989 and 1999.

3. Occupation: Recently retired from teaching, but now working in our business most of the time.

4. Fun night out: A fun night "out" is actually a quiet night "in" without any work to do.

5. My BFFs: Cindy and Iman

6. I spend way too much time: Right now I spend way too much time playing Farm Town on Facebook. In general, though, I spend far too much time on the computer doing work related stuff.

7. I spend not enough time: Reading. I miss having the time and energy to curl up with a good book!

8. I want to be when I grow up: Same answer as for 1999.

9. Biggest concern: Since 1999, I was diagnosed with Arnold Chiari Malformation and had brain surgery two years ago to help control the symptoms; therefore, my biggest concern at the moment is keeping The Brain under control and fighting off seizures and headaches so that I can have more good days than bad.

10. What my biggest concern should be: How to keep grey hair under control.

11. Where do I live: In the same house that I lived in 10 years ago. I hate moving!

12. Dumbest thing I have done this year: Because of #9, remembering things like this is not easy for me. Besides, I do dumb things on a daily basis!

13. What I think I would say to myself in 10 years: Carleen, you should have given in to your inner gypsy and taken a road trip every summer!

Summary:

1. What do I miss most from 1999: The bones that I had in my neck and the piece of my skull that I had back then that were removed when I had brain surgery a few years ago.

2. What do I miss least from 1999: Nothing that I can think of . . . that may have something to do with the missing pieces of my head and neck, though . . .

3. What have I accomplished in 10 years that I am most proud of: I survived without losing my sanity or my ability to be thankful for what I have and who I am.

4. What have I NOT accomplished in 10 years that I wish I had: I didn't take a road trip every summer.

Labels: Bookmark and Share | edit post
5 Responses
  1. Hootin Anni Says:

    Personally, I would MAKE time to curl up with a good book!!

    My Sunday Stealing is posted if you can find time today to stop by and visit. Have a Super day ahead of you.


  2. I am Harriet Says:

    You sound like a very stable person. Good luck with the brain issue.
    Have a great Sunday!
    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/08/1999-versus-today.html


  3. annies home Says:

    sounds like its time for a road trip


  4. Anonymous Says:

    You have a great deal to be thankful for. That's for sure. Happy Sunday Stealing


  5. with a mother like u, ur daughter's future shall be secure :)

    http://fart-in-a-jar.blogspot.com/2009/08/then-vs-now.html


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?