Carleen

~ Brought to you by Jori and Diane ~


On December 5, 2008, I wrote about rediscovering an artist whom my mother loved one night when I couldn't sleep. The video that I am going to share today is the piece that actually reignited that spark. This week, it's Ella Fitzgerald who moves me.

Of Fitzgerald, Johnny Mathis said, "She was the best there ever was. Amongst all of us who sing, she was the best." From those early days on Harlem streets to the upper stratosphere of musical fame, Ella Fitzgerald's life was the quintessential American success story. Through fifty-eight years of performing, thirteen Grammys and more than forty million records sold, she elevated swing, bebop, and ballads to their highest potential. She was, undeniably, the First Lady of Song. (source)

Today's video is a clip from a movie made in 1938, the year before my parents were born. A young, beautiful, and vibrant Ella achieved her first hit with this song. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!





Lyrics:

A-tisket A-tasket
A brown and yellow basket
I send a letter to my mommy
On the way I dropped it

I dropped it
I dropped it
Yes on the way I dropped it
A little girlie picked it up
And put it in her pocket

SHE WAS TRUCKIN ON DOWN THE AVENUE
Not a single thing to do
She went peck peck pecking all around
When she spied it on the ground

She took it
She took it
My little yellow basket
And if she doesn't bring it back I think that I will die


Oh gee I wonder where my basket can be
(So do we, so do we, so do we, so do we, so do we)
Oh dear I wish that little girl I could see
(So do we, so do we, so do we, so do we, so do we)

Oh why was I so careless with that basket of mine?
That itty bitty basket was a joy of mine!

A-tisket
A-tasket
I lost my yellow basket
Won't someone help me find my basket
And make me happy again? again

(Was it red?) No, no, no, no
(Was it green?) No, no, no, no
(Was it serese?) No, no, no, no

Just a little yellow basket
A little yellow basket
Labels: , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
5 Responses
  1. Hazel Says:

    Cute song. I remember discovering Ella Fitzgerald for the first time in the library of the music department where I had a student summer job looong time ago.

    Fifty-eight years! I wonder if someone in her calibre has performed longer than that. She wears the crown!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Wow what a find this was. Thanks for sharing your take on this and the song itself. I've never seen her that young LOL. Excellent :)


  3. Diane Says:

    FUN FUN video! love her voice!!! she's totally terrific!

    (you have good taste in music!!!)


  4. Anonymous Says:

    If Ella sneezed my father had it recorded, she was and always will be top bananas in our house! Great pick Carleen she is so cute in this!


  5. jori-o Says:

    I had a roommate in college who was a big Ella fan, so whenever I hear her, it makes me think back to our little apartment. Great memories!


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?