Carleen

Random Thought #1

Remember

by Christina Georgina Rossetti (1830 – 1894)

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

"Where ye are, death will find you, even if ye are in towers,
built up strong and tall." Qur'an 4:78

Yesterday, the Amazing Egyptian Dude lost a good friend, the Old Fart's Club lost an active participant in its Friday night "class," and most sadly, my friend lost her husband. His death was quite unexpected. Muslims bury the dead within 24 hours whenever possible, but our friend wanted to be buried in Egypt as is quite common among Egyptian ex-pats. A funeral prayer service will be held for him here on Thursday, and the plane with his body will leave for his final resting place in Egypt on Friday.


Random Thought #2


Dolly had a restful night with no seizures. I wish that I could say the same for myself! The inability to stay asleep is exacerbated by the Topamax tinglies which, truth be told, are driving me bonkers this time around. I managed to fall asleep shortly before midnight but shortly after 2, the Topamax tinglies must have invaded my mind because I woke up with a strangely painful left hand only to discover that I had scratched the living daylights out of it while sleeping. Perhaps I'll have the chance to take a nap later on today. . .

Random Thought #3

A while back I did a Thursday Thirteen list of Podcasts to Learn By and unless The Brain is completely uncooperative today, Bill Moyer's Journal was on that list. For anyone who is interested in healthcare reform and what all the hoopla is about, you seriously need to take a look at this now twice run episode of the Journal: Wendell Potter on Profits Before Patients. Potter was a Cigna insurance executive who left the company on very good terms, so he has no axe to grind with them. He explains how the for-profit private health insurance companies planned the strategy to prevent health care reform under the Clinton administration and now, to avoid it under Obama's. There's some pretty incredible stuff here, and definitely worth the watch!


Labels: , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
4 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I'm sorry for the death of your friends husband. May he rest in peace. Isn't there something they can give you to counteract the tingles? And this might sound stupid, but would it help to sleep with mittens or something on your hand? I don't know what to think or who to believe on this health care. What I do know is that it seems to me that something this big, is being fast tracked to quickly. Just like the Bank bailouts and car bailouts ...what's next? Our taxes are going to go sky high to pay for all this crap :)


  2. Anonymous Says:

    My condolences for your loss.

    I was wondering the same as what Thom asked - if there's something that can ease the tingles symptoms? Perhaps wearing cotton gloves at night might prevent scratching while you're sleeping.


  3. Sorry to hear that you are unable to sleep and finding you are doing things in your sleep that is hurting you.

    Hope you are feeling better soon Carleen.

    Sorry for the loss of your friend's husband. May he rest in peace


  4. Unknown Says:

    Sorry to hear about the passing away of your friend's husband.

    Hope you're feeling better now with the troublesome tingles.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?