Carleen
OrdinaryAndAwesome.com is the Chronicles of My Ordinary and Awesome Life, Family, and Thoughts. OrdinaryAndAwesome.com is the Mostly Wordless Wednesday headquarters as well as the home to several original awards and memes.




My dad scanned and sent this photo of my mom to me a couple of days ago. She must have been about 5 or 6 years old, so that puts the year at about 1944 or 1945. My mom grew up in a hamlet, yes we still have them in the United States!, called Freeman in upstate New York.





Wikipedia notes that

Freeman – A hamlet in the north part of the town [of Addison] on County Road 85.

The only road in the town is the highway that runs through it. The entirety of the town consists of my great-grandmother's small farm, which now belongs to my great-uncle, his wife's family dairy farm, a Baptist Church, an old one room school house that doubled as the volunteer fire department after the kids were bussed to school in Addison, and a couple of random houses here and there.

Across the road from my Grandma Taft's house is a crick (that's a creek for anyone who doesn't speak upstatese) and when we spent summers there, that crick was our swimming hole. One of my favorite memories as a kid was swimming with the minnows, except when there were so many of them that they filled our underwear! Eeeeewww!

It's been quite a few years since I visited my mom's hometown, but I get updates from family who still live there. It hasn't changed much at all since the time this photo was taken.

Labels: , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Awesome photo's. Thanks for sharing this. I saw your dad's that he posted yesterday. Excellent as well :)


  2. Gabriel Says:

    Loved the pictures, Carleen. I kept coming back to the blog, hoping I would find a WW post I could link to! :-)


  3. I love old photos. They are so neat. And that view . . . amazing!!


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?