Carleen

Egypt Everlasting is hosting a weekly meme to introduce participants to different parts of the world. Every Saturday, they post a theme and participants take it and show that theme in their part of the world. This week's theme is WATER, so share something about an ocean, lake, river, pool, waterfall, the rain, water of any kind in your part of the world. Next week's (8-15) theme: SCHOOL

To see entries from other participants or to join in the fun, click here.

Here we go . . .

I live in Orange County, California, an area that is sandwiched between the Pacific Ocean and the San Bernardino Mountains. This area is technically a desert, but that doesn't mean that we are lacking water!

The Beach Boys, who are from my hometown (Hawthorne, California), made surfing the beaches of California popular in the 1960s with their song, "Surfin' U.S.A." Most of the beaches that they name in the song are located in California, with a few in Hawaii thrown in for good measure.



Newport Beach is as famous for its super, super rich people (Orange County is the wealthiest county in the whole state) as it is for surfing.


The part of California where I live also has a beautiful lake hidden 5100 feet up in the mountains that I see every time I go outside of my house. Lake Arrowhead in the San Bernardino Mountains is about 90 minutes away from my house, but going there is like going to a different state -- maybe even a different country! I get really nervous driving the winding two-lane road up the mountain and can't imagine what it must be like in the winter when there is ice and snow.




Finally, the city where I live is the neighbor of the Magic Kingdom. Disneyland is so close to my house that we can walk there. Disneyland may be in the desert, but anything is possible in the Magic Kingdom, including places like Splash Mountain!




All of these different kinds of water can be found in less than 80 miles from my door. California, in spite of its current budget woes, is still a wonderful place to live!

Labels: , Bookmark and Share | edit post
6 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Carleen I was in Arrowhead in June it is gorgeous, you got a great shot of the lake!

    My SW is here
    http://www.moorebloglife.com/2009/08/08/summer-stock-small-world-beach-bums/


  3. Cherie Says:

    All those shots look so wonderful and fun. Such diversity! :)


  4. BLS Says:

    You picked some interesting water shots. I love to swim in the sea in summer and the lake certainly looks inviting.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Surfin' USA - Rock on I love it. The description and photos are excellent. Disneyland is my favorite of all time. Lake Arrowhead...hmmm I've heard that someplace before. Oh yeah, From Amanda. It's just beautiful. Great post my friend :)


  6. I liked this post Carleen, I learned a bit more of from where you live. I always liked the Beach Boys, Barbara Ann one of my favorites. I can remember growing up in the 1970's and the family heading to the Beach for a day, most of us sat on the back of the truck (you could do that then) and we sang Barbara Ann on the way out. Thank you for letting me have a wonderful long forgotten memory.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?