Carleen


I love rockabilly and was thrilled when I stumbled across a collection of ultra rare recordings in a multiple disc collection. Even better, I was ecstatic to find some of my favorites on You Tube! Although you won't be able to see a performance -- these songs were recorded long before the days of music videos -- at least you'll get to hear some fantastic music that paved the way for the rock and roll that most of us are familiar with.



I couldn't find much on Johnny Buckett and his Cumberland River Boys, the recording artist you'll hear, but I can tell you that the song was written and recorded in 1946 by a man named Tampa Red. The innuendo is not as thinly veiled as one would expect for the Forties, so I would imagine the song was quite scandalous in its day. Considering the language of much of today's music, however, it's as mild as Ivory soap by comparison!

Enjoy!






Lyrics:

Look-a here baby, listen to my song,
don't get mad because it ain't no harm,
I want to play with your poodle, can I play with your poodle,
Let me play with your poodle, I mean your little poodle dog.

He's the best little poodle I ever seen,
And what I like about him, you keeps him clean,
Let me play with your poodle, let me play with your poodle,
Let me play with your poodle, I mean your little poodle dog.

Your little poodle got long black shaggy hair,
look like a face, like a teddy bear,
But can I play with your poodle, let me play with your poodle,
play with your poodle, I mean your little poodle dog.

I like the way he twists his tail,
I would buy him but he ain't for sale,
But let me play with your poodle, let me play with your poodle,
Let me play with your poodle, I mean your little poodle dog.

I play so soft, so gently and sweet,
I would like to play with him each one day a week,
Now can I play with your poodle, let me play with your poodle,
Let me play with your poodle, I mean your little poodle dog.
Labels: , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
5 Responses
  1. Hazel Says:

    recorded in 1946! Let me play with your poodle attracts me. And I think you can guess why. It also sounds very much like the sounds I heard when I was little at my grandma's ancient, very much haunted house :-)


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Wonderful choice. It's so good to go back and here this kind of music. Excellent. Aloha :) and have a great Monday :)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Simple catchy and lots of fun TY Carleen!



    mine is here
    http://www.moorebloglife.com/2009/08/17/musical-monday-3/


  4. Diane Says:

    you know how much i LOVE rockabilly!!! i just love that sound. i think i might be from another time.... lol

    awesome post!!!


  5. jori-o Says:

    Oh my goodness, Carleen, those lyrics are hySTERical!! Seriously, I'm cracking up! Great song!! =)


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?