Carleen
To see other entries or to play along, visit our friendly hosts, The Bumbles Blog.

This week's movie topic is all about FEAR . . .
Share on your blog movies that caused you to hide under the covers and then link back here at The Bumbles. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants!

I'm not a big fan of horror films; I outgrew them in my early twenties. They don't scare me, thrill me, keep me perched at the edge of my seat, make me want to scream, or even hide under the covers. Most of the time, they just make me laugh because I find them so implausible. When I think of FEAR in film, I think more psychology -- something that might happen or probably has happened and how people react to it, something that Aristotle would say evokes catharsis in me. So here's my list of movies with a theme of fear:


If you haven't seen The House of Sand and Fog, you should! It shows what can happen when we fear without understanding and how fear can be used as a very effective tool of manipulation.


Deranged fans stalking their idols isn't a new concept as this movie points out. But more importantly, it shows what can happen when a mentally unbalanced fan gains access to her idol, has a one night stand with him, and then faces the cold, hard reality of rejection.


Not much to say about this one except that I don't want to play survival games in the backwoods with anyone, including people I thought were my friends!



When Hannibal Lecter says, "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti," I feel completely creepy because we eat fava beans around my house all the time!


This film kept me going until the very surprising twist at the end. I will concede to being "had" by it!


After seeing this made for TV film / mini series, I am even more convinced that Las Vegas is Sin City, LOL! The Stand is such a favorite of mine that I keep a copy on my computer for easy access and have read the book four times. I consider it King's best work.


Wishing everyone a great week!
Labels: , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
3 Responses
  1. Lynn Says:

    I got the creeps to watching Se7en and Silence of the Lambs.

    Sharing my entry too for this week's movie meme. :)


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Play Misty For Me surely belongs on this list and I do see what your saying about Deliverance. Susan you listening? LOL I loved Silence of the Lambs. The rest I didn't see. Great list my friend Aloha :)


  3. The Bumbles Says:

    I was so disappointed by Deliverance - I thought it was super cheesy after all the build up I had heard over the years.

    I need to watch/read The Stand. I only ever read The Shining and then decided I was better suited to watch horror rather than read it - what my mind creates is far worse than anything a director has ever shown me.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?