Carleen
I've been ruminating on this ever since I heard Governor Palin's surprising announcement that she is resigning the office of governor. Since I'm a trained analyst of words, I listened to her words several times in search of a clue. Although she said that she had given her reasons candidly, I didn't find a reason anywhere. She seemed nervous, loudly catching her breath with every few words; she seemed disorganized and disjointed.

Governor Palin made two references to ethics complaints. In the second reference, she mentioned that she and her husband had racked up $500,000 in legal fees to fight these frivolous charges against her. And then it hit me. Governor Palin may be saying that her decision is honorable, that she is giving her position of leadership to save the taxpayers' money that is being spent on defending her, but I have a strong suspicion that when all is said and done, a new ethics charge will come to the forefront -- one that she will have enough difficulty fighting that she has decided to leave office instead. If she resigns ahead of the announcement of the charges, she will "save" the office the shame; in other words, she is employing the strategy that the best offense is a good defense.

It will be interesting to see how this development plays out. Does anyone else think that there's a lot more to this story than was revealed clearly in Governor Palin's speech today?

Labels: Bookmark and Share | edit post
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Nope I don't think that at all. I think it's all because she's going to the National level to run for President in 2012. Her speech today was horrible and I thought if you aspire to be President, you've got to be a lot better than the comedy of Laurel and Hardy. You might be on to something with this thought I will give you that. We shall see. I've tagged you on my blog my friend. Aloha and Happy 4th of July


  2. Carleen Says:

    At first, I thought the same thing, Thom. But after further consideration, I just don't see how that would make sense. During this election cycle, she continually compared her actual leadership experience to President Obama's, saying basically that as a governor, she trumped him. Lots and lots of people agreed with her.

    Would those same people agree with her now?

    I'm not so sure about that. How could they, in all honesty, agree knowing that, while she did have a higher leadership position than the one our current president held as a Senator, she quit her job halfway through?

    Don't you think if she were going to put herself in the running for the highest job in the land in 2012 that she would want to be able to say that even when the going got tougher than she had expected, she had the cajones (or maybe lipstick) to weather the storm without quitting?


  3. Meredith Says:

    Just stopping by from the blog hop (and from your comment). I totally agree with you on this point. My husband and I debated last night and could both agree on the one point that if she'll quit as governor who would elect someone who may quit as president... good post, good thoughts!


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?