Carleen
**I'm a bit ahead of schedule because seizures have been bothering me quite a bit for the past two days and since I really don't want to miss out Sunday Stealing, I did mine between seizures just in case tomorrow is more of the same.**

First Job: I worked in an old-fashioned movie theater that was privately owned by a very unusual husband and wife team. I was 15 and got to see movies free, so it was easy to put up with the Addams Family of bosses.

First Real Job: Receptionist at a huge Buick dealership. Unfortunately, the owner was less than honest, and the DMV closed him down. I went to work one morning and discovered that a security company was in charge and all employees were sent away.


First Favorite Politician: Abraham Lincoln. My grandfather, a Civil War buff, sparked my interest in our 16th president, and it has never died.




First Car:
1973 Plymouth Duster

First Record/CD: Same Train / Different Time by Merle Haggard

First Sport Played: Barbies -- that counts, doesn't it?

First Concert: The Beatles

First Foreign Country Visited: Mexico


First Favorite TV Show:
It's About Time. For years, I have remembered the theme song for this goofy show! Don't ask me why, because I honestly can't tell you. My very first school lunch box was the one in the photo below. Oh, what I'd give to have one of them now!




First Favorite Actor: Rock Hudson

First Favorite Actress: Doris Day



First Girlfriend/Boyfriend: The first love of my life was my Uncle Jerry. He stayed with us when he was in the Navy and stationed in San Diego. Since I'm the first grandchild on both sides of the family, I readily admit to being terribly spoiled and never wanting for attention as a child. Uncle Jerry, however, was my special pal because he watched Batman with me. From as early as I can remember, I was convinced that I would marry my Uncle Jerry. He broke my heart, though, when I was five and he married my Aunt Juanita. Poor thing had to really work at winning me over after she stole my man, but she succeeded just fine.

First Encounter with a Famous Person: The Everly Brothers used to play at Townhall Party where my parents went to dance. They took me along when I was a baby, and The Everly Brothers watched me while my parents jitterbugged around the dance hall.

First Brush With Death: If I've had one, I'm blissfully unaware of it and hope that I don't have one until it's the real deal.

First House/Condo Owned: The one I live in now. I hate moving!

First Film Seen: The first movie I remember from childhood is The Three Lives of Thomasina from 1964. I was five.


First Favorite Recording Artist: Merle Haggard

First Favorite Radio Station: 93 KHJ Boss Radio

First Book I Remember Reading: My grandmother was Queen for a Day in 1964 or thereabouts, and one of the prizes she won was a set of Childcraft Books which she gave to me and my sisters. I remember spending hours engrossed in those books, especially the one with the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales.

First Meme You Answered on Your Blog: I think that the first one I did was Movies A-Z. It's been a while. . .


Check out the other entries for Sunday Stealing!
Labels: , Bookmark and Share | edit post
17 Responses
  1. Hootin Anni Says:

    Oh my goodness!!!!! The EVERLY BROS. babysitting you. Whoa!!!! I'm speechless. And I too thought Doris Day was so pretty! She was a good wholesome actress. We have a few in common this week.

    My Sunday meme is now posted, won't you join me? Happy stealing!


  2. Cool first concert. As for It's About Time, I've never actually seen it, but you're right about the catchy theme tune which I've got on a TV themes collection.

    Hope you have a great Sunday and that your seizures go away soon.


  3. Wow, a Duster? Sweet!


  4. Lisa G Says:

    Really interesting answers this week! Have a great Sunday :)


  5. I am Harriet Says:

    That was a good year for the Duster. Guys were supping those things up like crazy back in the day.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    The Everly brothers babysat you. How fun is that? You've seen the Beatles live? Wow! Happy Sunday!


  7. I have been doing this meme stuff a long time. I was never jealous of an answer before. But you saw The Beatles? WOW. I've seen Paul twice (worked for him for a night) and Ringo once. But not the four. And I was around then...


  8. Carleen Says:

    Bud, I happened to have a very cool aunt who took me with her to see them on their first USA tour in 1965. I turned 6 in May, and attended the concert that summer. My strongest recollections of it, though, involved all the girls who screamed and cried, and a few who peed their pants!


  9. Anonymous Says:

    Maybe I should've put Barbies too, b/c I do believe it should be classified as a sport. Great answers.


  10. Anonymous Says:

    That's a sweet first job!

    Have a great Sunday. :)


  11. Anonymous Says:

    Interesting answers! My dad had a Duster. My mom was always saying what a good car it was. I've never seen it myself. It was before my time.


  12. Dracenea Says:

    Very cool first job!

    Sorry to hear that you have to deal with seizures. : ( I don't get them myself but used to be friends with someone that got them. Very scary to see so I can only imagine what it must be like to experience one.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today!


  13. Carleen Says:

    Dracenea, thanks for the well wishes. I have a degenerative brain condition called Arnold Chiari Malformation and a seizure disorder. Dealing with the seizures isn't too bad unless they come in clusters like they have for the past four days now. Kinda sucks because I waste a lot of time sleeping after each one.


  14. You saw THE BEATLES!!! I am thrilled! Plus Thomasina was one of my early favorite movies. (Remember the funeral?) And I remember some of the lyrics to "It's about time, it's about space, it's about men in the strangest place ..." Reading your answers was great fun!


  15. Anonymous Says:

    OMG...barbies as a sport...I love that answer. Sad about the owner at the dealership. I love the story about your Uncle Jerry. Fabulous meme. Aloha


  16. kalea_kane Says:

    Absolutely wonderful answers. I cannot imagine going to work and finding out that the whole place is closed thanks to a shady boss. Bummer! You saw the Beatles! NICE! Have a great week!


  17. Janet Says:

    How awesome that you got to see the Beatles!!!


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?