Carleen
I was lucky enough to have shared the first 17 years of my life with the most amazing woman I have ever known -- my mom. My mom enjoyed all kinds of music, and one of my earliest memories is of her singing "Sugartime" by the Maguire Sisters to me. It's interesting how many of the memories of my mother involve music somehow.

My mom was absolutely crazy for Tom Jones. The first weekend my parents had away from me and my sisters was when my dad took her to Las Vegas to see the Welsh version of Elvis. Seeing Tom Jones in person only further cemented her adoration of him and his sexiness. Mom would put an album on the record player and twirl around the living room, while lip syncing every song.

She was only 37 when she died of massive internal bleeding caused by the Mallory Weiss Syndrome. So in honor of Mother's Day, I've chosen to share my mother's favorite song by her favorite singer because the image of her singing and dancing around the house to it is my favorite memory of her.





Lyrics
I saw the light on the night that I passed by her window
I saw the flickering shadows of love on her blind
She was my woman
As she deceived me I watched and went out of my mind
My, my, my, Delilah
Why, why, why, Delilah
I could see that girl was no good for me
But I was lost like a slave that no man could free

At break of day when that man drove away, I was waiting
I crossed the street to her house and she opened the door
She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more
My, my, my Delilah
Why, why, why Delilah
So before they come to break down the door
Forgive me Delilah I just couldnt take any more

She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more
My, my, my, Delilah
Why, why, why, Delilah
So before they come to break down the door
Forgive me Delilah I just couldn't take any more
Forgive me Delilah I just couldn't take any more

Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. One simple rule, leave ONLY the actual post link here. You can grab this code at LJL Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be DELETED without prejudice.


Labels: , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
5 Responses
  1. Rozella Says:

    My dad is such a huge fan of Tom Jones. He loves this song and used to make me and my sis listen to it all the time! :)


  2. Lapa37 Says:

    He does have some good songs it is amazing how many women find him sexy.Thanks for the visit.


  3. RA Says:

    Hi Carleen, what a wonderful tribute to your Mom! She would have loved to hear this song. It is my first encounter with Tom Jones. Thank you for sharing his song and the history behind. Have a great week and happy mother's day :)


  4. I am Harriet Says:

    Sorry about your mom. This was a great tribute. What ever happened to Tom?


  5. Kim Says:

    I love this song...
    a great song to remember your Mum..Carleen!!
    ps your blog design is wonderful :)


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?