Carleen

Dianne from Good Mourning, Glory is taking a break, so hats off to Amanda for hosting this wonderful meme during her absence.


From the time I first heard him singing the train songs of Jimmie Rodgers, I have loved Merle Haggard. It was 1969, and I was just ten years old when my dad brought home Same Train, Different Time. So in tune with the American character is he, that I tell everyone to really know America, you must listen to Merle Haggard and pay attention to his lyrics. One of these days when the Brain is more cooperative, I plan to write a paper on the topic. Until then, I'll just have to content myself with a melodious voice and some of the most powerful lyrics ever written. Just in case you want more of the Hag, check out the tribute to him on the acclaimed PBS series, American Masters.


Lyrics

The warden led a prisoner down the hallway to his doom
I stood up to say good-bye like all the rest
And I heard him tell the warden just before he reached my cell
'Let my guitar playing friend do my request.' (Let him...)

Sing me back home with a song I used to hear
Make my old memories come alive
Take me away and turn back the years
Sing Me Back Home before I die

I recall last Sunday morning a choir from 'cross the street
Came to sing a few old gospel songs
And I heard him tell the singers 'There's a song my mama sang.
Can I hear once before we move along?'

Sing me back home, the song my mama sang
Make my old memories come alive
Take me away and turn back the years
Sing Me Back Home before I die

Sing Me Back Home before I die
Labels: , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
2 Responses
  1. RA Says:

    Like you, I love the power of lyrics in songs. Thanks for sharing this Music Monday. Syafakillah. I hope that you'll get all the rest and break that you need. Have a wonderful week.


  2. aelievense Says:

    Just a note to let you know that I tagged you. Part of the rules are I have to let you know, so if you'd like to do the tag and tag others, check my blog to copy and paste the questions to yours!

    Thanks. :-)


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?