Carleen


This week's movie topic is all about Regional Representation...

It is hard to not be drawn to a movie set in your home city, state or region. Share on your blog movies set in your part of the world and then link back to The Bumbles. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants!

And here we go . . .

I was born, raised, and still live in Southern California, the capital of the film and television industry in the US. Lots of movies are made here, and it's not uncommon to find a film crew in a random neighborhood at any time; it's just part of living in SoCal. Remembering movies that are set in Los Angeles or California, though, is a different story. It turned out to be a little more challenging for me than I thought it would be, but here's what I managed to come up with:

Boyz n the Hood (1991): Set in South Central Los Angeles, which isn't too far from where I grew up, this film is made all the more tragic because of its unfortunate realism.

Freedom Writers (2007): Based on the true story of Erin Gruwell, a young teacher from the perfectly planned city of Irvine (the first "Stepford" community in the OC, as I call them), who gets a taste of real life when she teaches a group of high school students in Long Beach. Despite the disparities in their life experiences, Erin finds a way to reach and connect with her students so effectively that her classroom model has now spread across the country with incredible success. As an educator, this movie resonates with me in so many ways. We need more teachers like Erin Gruwell!

Gidget (1959): Gidget learns to surf at the beaches of Venice and Santa Monica. Who doesn't love Gidget?!

Paint Your Wagon (1969): I love this film! Set during California's Gold Rush, this musical comedy starring Clint Eastwood -- who sings in it -- and Lee Marvin is a movie that everyone should see for reason other than to laugh like a fool.

The Aviator (2004): Multi-millionaire Howard Hughes, the enigmatic subject of this film, lived and worked in Southern California. In fact, my father, mother, grandmother, 2 aunts, and 3 cousins all worked at, and many retired from, Hughes Aircraft, the defense contracting company he built in El Segundo.

Pulp Fiction (1994): This film provides a glimpse into the seedier side of life in Los Angeles. It's on my list of frequently played films.

Changeling (2008): I didn't care for this one very much, but it is set in Southern California.


Have a great week, everyone!

Labels: , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
6 Responses
  1. kayerj Says:

    paint your wagon--that was a funny movie. I'll bet you do get the opportunity to see a lot of filming in action. Very interesting post.


  2. How cool to spend your teen years right there where Gidget and Moondoggie spent theirs in decades gone by!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Well at least this week I saw one of these Pulp Fiction. I don't think I still get that movie LOL. :)


  4. Heather Says:

    Good list -- I've seen all but "Changling" and "Freedom Writers," though both are one my list of movies to see.

    My list is HERE.


  5. The Bumbles Says:

    What an excellent variety of topics and times. Boyz In The Hood is a close second to Pulp Fiction for my favorites of your selections. I really liked Grand Canyon - have you seen that one?


  6. RA Says:

    You always come up with great movie reviews for a theme, Carleen. I love reading them. I have seen The Aviator and Pulp Fiction. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day :)


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?