Carleen
1. What bill do you hate paying the most?

Thankfully we don't have many, but of the bills that we do have to pay, I'd choose the electric bill as the one I hate paying the most.

2. Where was the last place you had a romantic dinner?

At home, courtesy of the Amazing Egyptian Dude and his excellent culinary skills.

3. How many colleges did you attend?

3

4. Why did you choose the shirt that you have on right now?

Ummm...it's a little after 3 a.m., so it's still the night clothes for me.

5. First thought when the alarm went off this morning?

I don't use an alarm because The Brain wakes me up 2 or 3 hours after I fall asleep anyway.

6. Last thought before going to sleep last night?

How many more essays do I have to grade?

7. What do you miss being a child?

I had an amazing childhood! The thing I miss most about being a child is having my mom.

8. What errand/chore do you despise?

Without a doubt, laundry! I swear that laundry is the curse of my life.

9. Have you found real love yet?

Yep, see #2.

10. What do you get every time you go into Wal-Mart?

I am not a shopping kind of person at all, so if I go to Wal-Mart at all, it's because I need something. The answer then would be that I get what I need.

11. Do you think marriage is an outdated ritual?

Not at all. Rituals are the glue that bind societies together.

12. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?

This is a tough one because I don't know how to choose between Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Christopher Marlowe.

13. Ever had to use a fire extinguisher for its intended purpose?

Never used a fire extinguisher for any purpose.

14. Somewhere in California you've never been and would like to go?

Anywhere north of San Francisco.

15. At this point in your life would you rather start a new career or a new relationship?

Career -- I'm always ready to learn something new.

16. Do you have a “go to” person?

I have two: the Amazing Egyptian Dude and Aunt Nola.

17. Are you where you want to be in life?

I'm fine with my life.

18. Over the years, what about you do you think has changed the most?

My willingness to make excuses for people has changed more than anything else about me. The older I get, the less likely I am to make or accept an excuse for things like rude behavior, mistreatment of others, disrespect, and willing ignorance.

19. Looking back at high school were they the best years of your life?

The best? No. But they were lots of fun!

20. Are there times you still feel like a kid?

Sure! I'm often filled with the same sense of wonder that I had a as a kid; I still have the love of learning that I had as a kid.

21. Where was the hang out spot when you were a teenager?

I don't know of one. Most of the time, my friends and I hung out at one another's houses.

22. Who do you think impacted your life the most?

Without a second thought, it was my mother. From her, I learned how to share even when you don't have much yourself; that having "things" may bring comfort, but "things" don't guarantee happiness; that the best quality a person can have is a willingness to help others without ever expecting anything in return; and that using foul language (curse words) is a public display of ignorance, for swearing, my mom used to say, tells the world that your vocabulary is too limited to find a better word to use. Truly smart people, according to my mom, can convey their feelings with words far more powerful than the ones that come from the gutter.

23. Was there a teacher or authority figure that stood out for you?

Mrs. Wilson, a high school English teacher. Most of the students in her classes hated Mrs. Wilson. She was very near retirement when I had her the first time as a sophomore, and even closer when I had her again as a senior. She commanded respect, demanded our best, and challenged us to beat our own expectations.

24. Do you tell stories that start with “when I was your age”?

I do now! I used to love hearing my grandparents and parents talking about the "good old days," and now I love to do the talking. The major difference, though, is that I almost always start with "I remember when. . ."

25. What is the scariest thing that has happened to you as an adult?

Having brain surgery.

26. What advice would you give to someone about to get married?

Learn to choose your battles because some things really aren't worth fighting for, over, or about in the long run.

27. What advice would you give someone starting their first job?

Show up on time and ready to work as soon as you step foot in the door.

28. If you could go back and change one thing you did, what would it be?

I believe that there's something to be learned from everything we do. That which we consider a mistake when it happens offers us the opportunity to learn what made it a mistake so that we can avoid the experience a second time. I like to learn, so I wouldn't change anything.

29. If you could go back and change one thing someone else did, what would it be?

See #28.


More entries and the rules for playing along are available here.


Labels: , , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
7 Responses
  1. ladynina Says:

    great responses. i love #28. come to think of it, it is true. ;)

    have a great week ahead !

    cheers,
    nina


  2. great answers. Mine is published, hope you'd be able to drop by. Happy Sunday.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Great answers. Love the one of being on time and ready to work. I used to be a manager in retail. How do you come to work and not work? Irritating.. happy Sunday!!


  4. John Says:

    #26 & #27 ... Brilliant!


  5. Lisa G Says:

    Enjoyed your answers! Have a happy Sunday :)


  6. Interesting story on your teacher, Mrs. Wilson. It's good she had such a interested student!


  7. Anonymous Says:

    Great Sunday Stealing. I really enjoyed it. Especially 28. Brain Surgery...oh my...I can see that being scary :)


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?