Carleen
"From where you sit, the inside of the White House may look as untidy as the inside of a stomach. As is said of the legislative process, sausage-making and policy-making shouldn't be seen close-up. Don't let that panic you. Things may be going better than they look from the inside." -- Donald Rumsfield

Just when I thought I could relax a little and enjoy what's left of the break between the fall and spring semesters, I received a bombshell in my email box yesterday afternoon. And it wasn't just any old bombshell, either -- it was the bombshell, the one big enough to cause me to reach for the panic button.

Due to a combination of low enrollment (more than likely caused by the declaration of impaction from the CSU chancellor in response to the fiscal crisis) and further budget cuts, my teaching load for the spring semester has been reduced from 3 classes and an independent study to 1 class and an independent study. Don't get me wrong, please-- I am grateful that I still have a job for one more semester, I really am. What has me reaching for the panic button is the fact that my greatest fear is now a reality: I will soon lose my health care coverage.



A California Carol nicely sums up the situation.
Labels: , , , , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
3 Responses
  1. Carleen,
    I am sorry this happened. What a blow! Is there any way to salvage the situation for one more semester so you can retire with benefits? Can you talk to anyone? I will be sending lots of hope and white light your way.

    -OSM

    P.S. That California carol was very funny but sadly true.


  2. Carleen Says:

    OSM, this has been my greatest fear for quite some time. Even after begging, quite literally, my department chair to work with me on this one, his response was that I ought to check with the union to see if they can make an exception for me on the early retirement considering the gravity of my circumstances. Thankfully, I have a very good friend in high places who helped me to get the additional class for the fall semester and after a call to him last night, I received his assurance of help for this semester, too. I'll be sure to update when I know what's going on.

    What is it about Californians that we think actors make good politicians, LOL?

    Carleen


  3. Jeanne Says:

    I'm so sorry. That's what a former housemate of mine used to call a "letter of ruin." It happens way too much in academia.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?