Carleen


Header from samulli
Click here to see other entries or to play along.

What better way to combine my interest in history and interesting, but mostly useless, facts than to make this week's list a combo deal? I hope that you enjoy 13 interesting, sometimes strange, facts about U.S. Presidents.


1. William Howard Taft was too large to fit in the White House bathtub and after getting stuck in it once, had an oversized tub installed.

2. James Madison was the only president to weigh less than 100 pounds.

3. Calvin Coolidge was the only U.S. president born on the 4th of July.

4. John Quincy Adams kept his pet alligator in the East Room of the White House.

5. Franklin D. Roosevelt was related in some way to 11 former U.S. Presidents.

6. John Tyler fathered 15 children, the last of which was born when Tyler was in his 70s!

7. Abraham Lincoln used to keep important papers inside his famous stovepipe hat.

8. The only president to get married in the White House was Grover Cleveland.

9. Ronald Reagan is the only president, so far, to have been divorced.

10. George Washington is the only president to have been elected unanimously. He received all 69 electoral votes.

11. Martin Van Buren was the first president born in the United States.

12. Grover Cleveland is the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms in office.

13. In elections since the end of WWII, the taller of the two main party candidates has won the election 75% of the time. Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush are the only post-war presidents to have defeated taller rivals. Since 1900, nobody under the height of 5ft 9in has ever won the presidential election.



Labels: , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
11 Responses
  1. i beati Says:

    so fascinating sandy


  2. Nessa Says:

    I love trivia. These were fun and interesting.


  3. ItaJeff Says:

    Salam Carleen.

    This is interesting..no. 1 is funny!!

    Thank you so much to keep my ma in your prayer and also thank you for the words of support you have given me. I appreciate it very much Carleen. May Allah the Almighty bless us in our journey. Amin

    Lots of luv,
    Ita


  4. Lori Says:

    Love these! #1 made me LOL and #6 made me say, "Good grief!"


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Zip...ya did it again. What a wonderful history lesson. Can you imagine being a father in your 70's. I thought it quit working by then LOL

    And less than 100LBS...it's amazing how unpresidential that sounds to me.


  6. ahaaaaaaaaaaannnn Carleen that is such presidential knockouts :D

    Happy TT

    Click Here For My Thursday-13


  7. Anonymous Says:

    Interesting!


  8. Tracey Says:

    Another presidential-history lover here! Neat facts!


  9. Gattina Says:

    Lol, these are unknown stories to me about US presidents !


  10. Hazel Says:

    I thought I have already met all US presidents in history readings through the years until John Tyler in your post.

    And a pet alligator?!

    My favorite is Abraham Lincoln (although I don't like his wife that much)

    no. 13 numerous studies have dealt with the taller-more-favorable chances concept. very interesting.

    Have a great week.


  11. jeng Says:

    Fascinating trivias ; ) Thanks for dropping by my T13 ; )


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?