Carleen

Post about 5 favorite things from the past week. It can be anything that tickled your fancy: favorite quotes, posts, happenings, scriptures, recipes, pictures, great internet finds, etc., etc. Be as detailed as you like, the more detail the more fun for those of us visiting. Susanne, the hostess, just asks that it be kept family friendly. To see entries from other participants or to play along, click here.




1. Humor can brighten an otherwise dreary day.

A lawyer boarded an airplane in New Orleans with a box of frozen crabs and asked a blonde stewardess to take care of them for him.

She took the box and promised to put it in the crew's refrigerator. He advised her that he was holding her personally responsible for them staying frozen, mentioning in a very haughty manner that he was a lawyer, and proceeded to rant at her about what would happen if she let them thaw out.

Needless to say, she was annoyed by his behavior. Shortly before landing in New York, she used the intercom to announce to the entire cabin, "Would the gentleman who gave me the crabs in New Orleans, please raise your hand?"


Not a single hand went up ... so she took them home and ate them.

Two lessons here:

1. Lawyers aren't as smart as they think they are.
2. Blondes aren't as dumb as some folks think they are.



2. Patience is a virtue. Or so I have been told! It's been a long summer, and I have missed my favorite TV shows. This week has been one filled with commercials designed to torture people like me, people who are anxiously awaiting the commencement of the fall season. Honestly, between the Dancing with the Stars and Grey's Anatomy commercials, I am on a countdown to Monday!

3. America's Got Talent, but we're not quite ready for the opera. I don't want to play like Kanye West and attack a deserving talent just because I am not happy with the outcome of a vote; however, I have to say that even though I liked Kevin Skinner and rooted for him, the finals for America's Got Talent turned out just as I predicted they would. Several weeks ago, I commented on Thom's blog that I had a feeling that although Barbara Padilla ought to win, that Kevin Skinner would win. Maybe I should work for a psychic hotline!




4. Times may be tough and things may be ugly, but hope remains. I have to say that I am eternally grateful to my mother, whom I lost when I was just 17 and she 37, for teaching me to be thankful for what I have, no matter how little it is, because I will always find someone who has less and when I do, it is my moral duty to share what I do have with them. I find it so distressing to see how selfish, self-centered, and self-serving people have become in these tough economic times. I sincerely hope that those who do not want to see any reforms made to our health care system never find themselves faced with the decision of buying food or medicine, paying to see a doctor or paying the mortgage/rent, or putting off necessary care because of a lack of funds to pay for it.


5. I hope.

"Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." --Don Quixote

"I have learned two lessons in my life: first, there are no sufficient literary, psychological, or historical answers to human tragedy, only moral ones. Second, just as despair can come to one another only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings." --Elie Wiesel

"He who has health, has hope; and he who has hope, has everything. " --Arabian Proverb



Labels: , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
9 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    I love your 5 AND I love your blog design! Too Much fun!


  2. Willow Says:

    Your mother gave you good words and examples to live by.

    Bones is back! And I'm waiting for NCIS!


  3. Hope remains. You're exactly right. Sounds like you had a very wise mother. Blessings to you.


  4. Matty Says:

    Excellent 5.

    I enjoy the sense of humor mixed with thought.

    Thanks.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Excellent FFF my friend. I just think Barbara was a tough sell because of the opera. She will do good whatever she does. I was so elated for Kevin. I've stuck with him since the beginning. You should be a psychic. Loved the humor :)


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Carleen I don't watch reality stuff so this is the first I have heard of her. I love opera and the Ave` is my mothers personal favorite. So she did NOT win? Well then as Hasslehoff said Gods has plans for her of which I am sure are much brighter than AGT could ever give her not winning won't stop her I am sure.
    Great 5's
    Be well
    *hugs*


  7. Susanne Says:

    Love the picture of the cat and have a few plans for some of what she's doing tonight too!

    The lady has a beautiful voice! I didn't watch AGT.


  8. RA Says:

    Wonderful FFF! These commercials getting longer and longer here, too. It's kind of annoying. I can see where you have become your wisdom, Carleen. Your mother sounds like a wonderful woman. I love the quotes.


  9. Brenda Says:

    I love the joke at the beginning and the picture of the TGIF cat! Great quotes at the end as well.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?