Carleen


From the first time I heard John Denver sing "Rocky Mountain High" back in 1973, I have been a fan. Even when it wasn't popular or cool to like John Denver in my high school days, it simply didn't matter to me -- the man had a way with words and music that touched me like only a few other artists ever have. But the one thing I admired most about John Denver's music was the fact that at a time when the generation gap was growing ever wider and communication between parents and their children was becoming increasingly difficult, my family found a young, talented, and vibrant artist whose music we all enjoyed listening to together. That didn't happen very often back in the 70s!

While I miss hearing new compositions from John Denver, I am forever grateful for the legacy of music that he left for the world. Today, my selection is one of my favorite of his songs, "This Old Guitar." I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do.






Lyrics:

This old guitar taught me to sing a love song
It showed me how to laugh and how to cry
It introduced me to some friends of mine
And brightened up some days
It helped me make it through some lonely nights
Oh, what a friend to have on a cold and lonely night

This old guitar gave me my lovely lady
It opened up her eyes and ears to me
It brought us close together
I guess it broke her heart
It opened up the space for us to be
What a lovely place and a lovely space to be

This old guitar gave me my life my living
All the things you know I love to do
To serenade the stars that shine
From a sunny mountainside
Most of all to sing my songs for you
I love to sing my songs for you
Yes, I do, you know
I love to sing my songs for you
Labels: , , , Bookmark and Share | edit post
4 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    WOOT Zip...this is great. I like him as well and what a good song this is. Ya know he just made ya feel good in his songs :) Excellent. Have a great Monday :) Aloha


  2. Michele Says:

    The most cherished songwriter of all time, I loved this man and will be deeply missed. He literally spoke to my heart and I still shed tears each time I hear his voice. He did have quite an impact at least on my life and on others as well. He sang from the heart and his soul.. and his tragic death could not have come at a worse time and his love for the environment was so strong...
    now he sings up there with the angels, in the presence of God...


  3. He had an amazing voice didn't he? Love this. Happy MM!


  4. Gabriel Says:

    Very nice, Carleen. We're big John Denver fans here too. Me and my kids even sang a few of his songs when we performed at our church's congregational dinner two years ago.


Post a Comment

What's on your mind?